Get the CRM Newsletter 📧 Subscribe →


The Great Push Notifications Benchmark 2023

The Great Push Notifications Benchmark 2023

Batch EXCLUSIVE — The Great Push Notification Benchmark & Mobile CRM 2023!

A cutting-edge survey in Europe looking at 500 billion messages sent to more than 500 million unique visitors worldwide via 10,000 mobile apps (iOS/Android) and websites.

The ultimate performance KPI study for push notifications, in-app messages, web push notifications & emails sent in 2023.

Strengthen your mobile CRM expertise, and compare your performances to market averages.

Find out more about the study ⬇️ (may take a few seconds to load).


Whether you’re a CMO or CRM Manager in the retail, media, banking, services, or mobility sector, you will find the answers to all your questions about the market for push notifications in this survey:

  • When is the best day to send push notifications?

  • Which in-app message format generates the highest clickthrough rate?

  • Which words appeared the most in push notifications for each industry?

  • Which emoji was the most used by the media?

  • And on the web, who has the best opt-in rate?

Key takeaways from this study

Opt-in rates: Android vs Apple

Android’s opt-in rates are 67% higher than those for Apple iOS. With Android, the opt-in rate is 92%, which drops to 55% with Apple iOS . This is because Android users were considered to have opted in by default to push notifications up until now.

Since August 2022, Android 13 (Android’s latest version) is now on the same page as Apple in collecting opt-in consent for push notifications. Android’s opt-in rates will therefore fall progressively.

Mobile push notification campaign performances

Push notification campaigns are divided up into two groups: contextual push notifications (automatically triggered after an action or a previously defined time) and generic push notifications (sent manually to a group of users with little or no targeting).

Contextual push notifications perform better than generic push notification campaigns as, by definition, they are sent to a segment group of users. On average, the open rate for contextual campaigns is 12.7% versus 4.8% for generic campaigns.

The banking/finance sector easily takes first place in generic campaigns with the best open rate: 12% on Android and 11% on iOS. As for contextual campaigns, the services sector comes out on top with 24.9% open rates on Android and 22.8% on iOS.

Web push notification and in-app messaging campaigns

For web push notifications, 80.5% of traffic comes from mobile devices. For the remaining 19.5% of traffic from desktop computers, 75% of users who opt in to notifications use Google Chrome. The finance industry has the highest opt-in rate on the web, averaging 77.4%.

In-app messages, meanwhile, are sent to all app users by default, whether or not users have opted in to notifications. However, even if all users see the campaign, some messages perform better than others. In-app messages designed to redirect (as in redirect a user to another part of the app or external link) have better clickthrough rates, with 21% on Android and 15% on Apple iOS.

Best time to send push notifications

Lastly, according to our Benchmark, Tuesday has the best notification open rate: 4.3%. The most favourable time for opening notifications is 3 pm on average, with an open rate of 4.9% (for all industries). We also recorded app traffic peaks at 10 am, 4 pm and 6 pm respectively .

Want to find out more?

Download the raw data for the Benchmark in Excel format.

Download the raw data